A stand out partner, perfect at managing her team. Lia consistently provides highly attuned legal support and knows exactly what her clients want and how to deliver that.
The Legal500 EMEA, 2022
Lia Iordanou Theodoulou
Partner - Head of Corporate Finance
Phone: +357 25 871599
Area(s) of Practice
- LLB (University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK), 1986
- Barrister of Gray’s Inn (London, UK), 1987
- Admitted to the English Bar, 1987
- Admitted to the Cyprus Bar, 1989
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Cyprus Fiduciary Association (CYFA) since June 2016
- Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- International Bar Association
- English Bar Association
- Cyprus Bar Association
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- The Corporate and Securities Law Group
- Academy of European Law (ERA)
- Committee for the Modernization of Law and the Study of Bills of Law and Public Law, CBA
- Committee on Shipping and Aviation, CBA
- Committee on Environment, Energy Law, and Investment Programs, CBA
- Elite Leading Lawyer in Legal 500 EMEA editions in Banking & Finance and Corporate and M&A practice areas
- Chambers & Partners Europe and Global editions in Corporate & Commercial practice area
- IFLR1000 in Financial and Corporate practice areas
- Advising a leading international bank in relation to several facility agreements provided to one of the top 10 nitrogen fertilizer producers in the world. We were instructed to advise on three facility agreements amounting to USD 850 million, USD 7 billion and EUR 450 million, for purchasing purposes, refinancing of loans and repayment of debts respectively.
- Advised the corporate and investment banking division of an American financial and banking corporation in relation to a USD 150 million margin loan transaction, which involved intra group loans of over USD 200 million, subordination issues, South African share security, security assignment and other security agreements.
- Advising one of the major international banks in relation to the procedure required for the most efficient enforcement of a Cyprus law share pledge, granted to it as security for the EUR 40 million debt and equity financing granted to a foreign company which implements a project of construction and future operation of a plant for the largest production of fuel pellets.
- Provided extensive advise in relation to the structuring and drafting of documentation between various shareholders of a consultancy company, member of a very prestigious international group of companies, which provides exploration and production drilling services to leading oil and gas companies around the world.
- Providing advice and assistance to one of the three largest copper producers internationally in relation to various financing transactions involving Cyprus companies and loans in the aggregate amount of USD 200 million.
- Acted as the Cyprus legal counsel of a major Bank for the restructuring of an existing indebtedness of one of the leaders in the international commercial real estate market. The restructuring included amendments and restatements of three facility agreements, share pledge agreements, as well as sponsor undertaking and option agreements governed by English law. Currently, we are advising and overlooking the redomiciliation of two BVI entities of the group and examining the legal effect of the continuation of these companies to the Republic of Cyprus.
- Involved in an aviation financing matter in order to provide our assistance regarding the novation of a USD 50 million aircraft financing transaction involving two aircrafts of an international leading provider of aircraft leasing services. The case involved Cypriot, Greek, Cayman and French entities.
- Involved in the financing of a 75-metre motor yacht, amounting USD 50 million, made available by a large Swiss Bank. We provided advice to the group and the Cyprus borrower, as well as other group companies providing collateral in the form of share pledges, ship mortgage, general assignments, and reviewed other BVI documents from a Cyprus law perspective.
- Sanctions relating to aircraft
- Lending & Taking Security in Cyprus
- Lending & Taking Security in Cyprus: overview
- Lending and taking security in Cyprus: overview
- Mergers and Reorganisations – An Overview
- Cyprus International Trusts
- Lending and Taking Security in Cyprus
- Getting the Deal Through – Restructuring & Insolvency – Cyprus 2017
- Company Formation in Cyprus
- Getting the Deal Through – Restructuring and Insolvency 2018 – Cyprus
- Getting the Deal Through – Securities Finance