Partner - Dispute Resolution
Phone: +357 25 871599
- LLB “Hons” (Lancaster University, UK), 2007
- LLM International Business Law (The University of Manchester, UK), 2008
- MSc Management (Lancaster University, UK), 2009
- Admitted to the Cyprus Bar, 2010
- Cyprus Bar Association
- Representing companies within a Group of companies which own an oil refinery in the Russian Federation, which are caught in a shareholders’ dispute for the amount of more than USD 200 million for alleged breaches of shareholders’ agreement, misrepresentation and fraud.
- Representing companies part of a Group of Companies which own real estate in the Russian Federation, and their UBOs, caught in a shareholders’ dispute for the amount of USD 16 million for alleged breaches of shareholders’ agreement, alleged fraud and alleged misappropriation of assets.
- We are representing the interests of one of the leading banks of the Russian Federation in an action for damages in the approximate amounts of USD 21 million for fraud, conspiracy and misappropriation of assets against ex state officials and connected SPVs registered in various jurisdictions. This high profile dispute has received many press headlines in the Russian Federation and abroad due to the involvement of state officials in the promotion of a project for the construction and finance of works for the housing of thousands of families living in a specific area in Russia.
- Currently handling over 50 cases involving the registration, recognition and enforcement of Russian judgments and arbitral awards obtained by one of the leading and largest banks of Russia against various companies and individuals and offering on-going assistance and advice on all cross-border matters arising within this framework. The value of each individual case ranges between USD 10 million to USD 120 million and the total aggregate amount is in excess of USD 3 billion. We were able to register 13 arbitral awards in 2015 and further 32 in 2016. Further 9 Awards were registered in 2017.
- Representing one of Russia’s major banks in one of the most high profile arbitration proceedings which have ever been heard before a Cypriot tribunal. The claim relates to the performance of certain bank guarantees issued by the plaintiffs according to which the bank affected the transfer of the amount of about USD 50 million pursuant to the provisions of a certain Russian State Contract the validity of which was later disputed. We have recently received the Final Award in the favour of our Clients pursuant to which the multimillion-claim of the Claimants is dismissed.
- Representing a Russian government-owned development bank involved in the funding of development projects in a litigation initiated in Cyprus against the bank and third parties for the amount of USD 118,2 million on the basis of alleged breaches of contractual obligations by third parties for which, allegedly, the bank is responsible in tort under Russian law, as being their ultimate mother company.
- Representing one of Cyprus’s biggest banks before the Court in relation to a new Law which provides for assets which have been encumbered in favour of the Bank to be transferred (in particular circumstances) to third parties which have bought the assets from the debtor, whilst erasing the encumbrance of the Bank. On behalf of the Bank, we are promoting appeals against relevant decisions of the Land Registrar by which assets will be transferred to third parties, obtaining interim prohibitive orders restraining such transfer, and requesting for the Law to be declared as unconstitutional. In May 2017, a judgment was issued within one of the Applications/Appeals, by which the Court agreed with the position put forth by the Applicant bank and declared several articles of the Law as unconstitutional, as breaching articles 23 and 26 of the Constitution.
- Chambers Global Practice Guides: International Arbitration 2020
- Chambers Global Practice Guides: Enforcement of Judgments – Cyprus 2020
- The Legal 500: Force Majeure Country Comparative Guide
- Arbitration Procedures and Practice in Cyprus: overview
- Global Guide to the Enforcement of Judgments
- Limits to extension of the arbitration agreement in Cyprus
- Arbitration procedures and practice in Cyprus: overview
- 2nd Arbitration Comparative Guide – Cyprus 2017
- ICLG – International Arbitration 2016 – Cyprus
- The Dispute Resolution Review – Cyprus 2016