The provision of advice in taxation matters, including international tax planning, is a key component of our practices, and it plays a key role in various transactions such as finance transactions, mergers and acquisitions, cross-border operations, as well as company establishments and group structuring and restructuring.
Recognizing the significance of providing comprehensive and efficient tax advice, the Firm’s legal team continually strives to assess the developments and amendments of the international taxation legislation in order to optimally utilize the Cyprus double taxation treaties and the existing tax advantages and tax credits in our Laws to develop the most effective tax planning opportunities for its clients.
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC has extensive expertise in advising and assisting clients in the implementation of effective tax planning structures designed to minimize tax liabilities, improve efficiency of the clients’ international cross-border activities and meet their financial and business objectives. Specifically, the Firm’s tax advisory services include:
- International tax planning legal advice
- Incorporation of companies in Cyprus or abroad
- Maintenance of companies in Cyprus or abroad in accordance with local laws and regulations
- Provision of nominal directors, nominal shareholders, secretary and registered address
- Provision of accounting services and performance of audit through preferred providers
- Establishment of international trusts
- Provision of legal advice and legal representation in relation to any matter within our practice areas
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC has an established reputation as one of the leading law firms in the field of tax planning, but above all it is an internationally renowned legal practice that aims at meeting any expectations of both institutional and private equity clients.
The Firm offers continuous advice from the Cyprus law perspective on various tax matters to a number of large international law firms. To ensure the utmost satisfaction of clients, the Firm additionally maintains professional corporate and bookkeeping departments, and close associations with expert audit firms thereby allowing their clients to receive the full spectrum of services in accordance with their individual needs. Furthermore, through the association with the PageCorp Group, the Firm provides comprehensive corporate services such as the provision of company secretarial, trustee, administration, and management services to a variety of clients in Cyprus and overseas.
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC was selected to become the sole member for Cyprus of ‘AITC’ – Association of International Tax Consultants, an Internet-based network of independent corporate and tax professionals located in financially important centers around the world. Membership of AITC is by invitation only to firms that have the highest standards of professional competence and integrity. Through their association with AITC, Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC provides swift and accurate advice to clients regarding aspects of their local and international business arrangements, aimed at minimizing taxes through carefully controlled management of corporate and personal structures.
Sample of Major Cases Handled
- Advising a Russian airline company in relation to the tax consequences arising out of a financing scheme concerning the leasing of Boeing and Airbus aircrafts, involving UAE, Cypriot and Irish entities. We provided specialised tax advice in relation to transfer pricing and VAT matters and other relevant taxes.
- Provided legal advise to an international tax and corporate services provider, in relation to a proposed restructuring of a tax structure involving Cyprus, Russian, BVI, New Zealand and Swiss entities and on the tax consequences of the restructuring. Advised on the settlement of a new trust in New Zealand and of the proposed irrevocable contribution in kind of shares in a Russian company, to a Cyprus company subsidiary of such new trust.
- Provided an expert legal opinion in connection with legal proceedings taking place in the Russian Federation involving a Cyprus holding company, analysing the concept of the beneficial ownership of dividends under the OECD model treaty and the double tax treaty between Russia and Cyprus, the concept of a conduit company and the effective management and control of the Cyprus company involved.
- Advised one of the major banking institutions of Cyprus in relation to whether a general issuing bank agreement entered into by the Cypriot Bank and an international developmental investment bank is subject to stamp duty in Cyprus.
- Advised a Russian entrepreneur, provider of online travel and holiday services accommodating a niche market of travelers seeking to enjoy alternative experiences ranging from hunting and fishing to trekking and ecotourism, on all legal matters relating to the setup of a specialist online based tourism company and website. Our client’s Cyprus based company seeks to benefit from the beneficial IP Box tax regulations in Cyprus that provide a tax efficient platform for the development of IP-related assets and enterprises.
- Seeking to benefit from the Double Taxation Treaties in place between Cyprus and several other countries, including Russia, we advised a number of Companies from the BVI and Panama wishing to transfer their base for tax purposes. Provided our legal opinions on tax matters relating to re-domiciliation to and from Cyprus to our multijurisdictional clientele.
- Advised a Greek based data security company in relation to the establishment of a Cyprus subsidiary for the purposes of facilitating international sales of its software products.
- Advised various foreign individuals in obtaining the Cyprus Citizenship through the Cyprus citizenship by investment programme, in relation to the requirements for becoming tax residents of Cyprus and acquiring the non-domiciled status.
- Advising a high-net-worth individual owner of an interactive online marketing agency and other online platforms, in relation to the settlement of a Cyprus International Trust (CIT) for the purposes of utilizing the same as a wealth management and estate planning tool. We advised on the setting up and registration of the CIT and all related tax implications.