Corporate Law and M&A
The Corporate, commercial and M&A department of the firm is renowned for the extensive experience and expertise on local and international corporate and commercial matters.
Senior & Managing Partner, Stavros Pavlou and his team of partners and lawyers handle international cross-border, as well as, domestic transactions involving private and public companies listed on the Cyprus Stock Exchange and other recognized Stock Exchanges like LSE, AIM and the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. During the current year the department handled complicated matters involving mergers and acquisitions of Cypriot and foreign companies and assisted prestigious international law firms on Cyprus corporate and commercial law issues.
Clients are advised on all legal aspects of their operations including:
- Company formation and company administration
- Partnership formation and dissolution
- Corporate management, with full domiciliation services
- Corporate reorganization, reconstruction, restructuring and optimization of business structures
- Company liquidation and winding up
- Shareholder agreements and corporate governance
- Loan, agency and distributorship agreements
- Lease and hire-purchase agreements
- Share sale and purchase agreements
- Local and cross border mergers, acquisitions and amalgamations
- Joint ventures and cross border transactions
- International tax planning
- Legal and corporate due diligence
- Corporate finance, with a particular focus on takeovers, restructurings, mergers and acquisitions
- Trust Settlement and trust administration
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC also deals with all aspects of commercial law, both in the private and in the public sector, including the areas of:
- Public procurement
- Public private partnerships
- International trade and commerce
- Asset and share purchases
- Labour and employment
- Legal due diligence, etc.
The firm offers professional legal advice and assistance in local and cross border transactions, at all stages from negotiations to drafting, proper execution and closings.
Sample of Major Cases Handled
- Advising one of the world’s largest providers of products and services to the energy industry on its proposed acquisition (value of USD 975 million) of a Cyprus holding company and its subsidiaries.
- Engaged for the 4th consecutive year by a major corporate shareholder, wishing to sell a further 25% stake in a Cyprus holding company; the project involved several complicated share transfers and sale of loans in the form of shareholder financings (value EUR 420 million).
- Provided a complex legal memorandum to a major media and advertising services provider on the liquidation of one of its member companies, a Cyprus investment management company, which was also involved in litigation proceedings in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, USA.
- Providing detailed analysis of corporate governance matters in relation to two Cyprus holding companies, part of a very complicated legal structure with ultimate beneficial owners of various nationalities, BVI shareholders, shares held on trust by funds and Russian subsidiaries involved in the production and sale of steel, pipes and gas tanks.
- Advising a major Russian bank in relation to a complicated reorganization of an international corporate group operating in the oilfield sector, including Russian, Jersey and Cyprus companies.
- Extensively advising a leading consultant of private equity funds in Russia and CIS, in relation to the structuring of a joint venture/merger/spin-off valued at approximately USD 75 million of a leading private express delivery operator in Russia with a German transportation and logistics company.
- We have been engaged by a high calibre Greek entrepreneur to provide detailed legal assistance with the setting up of a Cyprus company involved in the online travel industry. Furthermore, we comprehensively assisted our client with all company incorporation procedures and we also provided serviced office space to accommodate his initial operational needs.
- Acted as the legal advisor to one of the largest Russian companies offering railway infrastructure construction services, on whether the entry into a particular pledge agreement, which constituted part to a larger financing transaction, would potentially be in breach of the Cyprus Companies Law provisions relating to the prohibition of the cross holding of shares.
- Having gained extensive expertise, we have successfully handled and completed numerous re-domiciliation procedures from Jersey, Panama and the BVI to Cyprus. Currently, we are advising and overlooking the re-domiciliation of a BVI entity, which is part of a group of companies established as an integrated railway holding company providing transport services, leasing, engineering and servicing of cargo wagons in Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus.
- We extensively reviewed the proposed website documentation such as sales paths, e-mail templates and the travel insurance policy relating to the provision of insurance by one of the world’s leading insurance companies. Our involvement also included providing extensive legal advice on the online documentation for customers of a Hungarian low-cost airline and providing an analysis of insurance and re-insurance legislation currently in force under Cyprus law.