The largest and most experienced department of Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC, the dispute resolution and ADR practice, is ranked in the top tier for Cyprus, by several prestigious international directories, for delivering exceptional services to clients.
With a 52-year experience in the legal market and with an international culture, the lawyers and legal consultants of the Firm successfully handle cases in Courts all over Cyprus and abroad. Headed by four partners, the litigation team represents clients from various industry sectors and deals with a wide range of claims and disputes in respect of general civil, corporate and criminal litigation as well as administrative recourses to the Supreme Court of Cyprus including:
• Corporate and shareholders’ disputes
• Banking and finance disputes
• Negligence, incl. medical malpractice
• Bankruptcy, insolvency and receivership
• Landlord and tenant disputes
• Employment disputes
• Matrimonial law
• Defamation, libel and slander claims
• Breach of contracts
• Personal injury claims
• Road traffic accidents
• Insurance claims
• Admiralty claims
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC’s ADR team consists of highly experienced and specially qualified lawyers whose mission is to provide reliable, impartial and efficient local and international ADR services as outlined below:
The department is headed by the Senior & Managing Partner of the Firm, Stavros Pavlou who has extensive experience and excellent negotiating skills. Mr Pavlou is a member of CIArb and has been awarded with the Advanced Certificate in International Arbitration. ADR lawyers handle arbitration procedures in the following areas:
• Commercial cross-border transactions
• Corporate finance disputes
• Shareholders’ disputes
• Trade & Construction industry related disputes
• Judicial proceedings in aid of arbitration
Transnational capabilities are substantial since lawyers have arbitrated commercial disputes in arbitration courts in many countries, such as the London Court of International Arbitration, the Stockholm Arbitration Court, the Austrian Arbitration Centre and others as well as in Cyprus.
The ADR team of the Firm provides comprehensive private mediation services and assists in representing individual parties to help resolve conflicts as efficiently and cost effectively as possible.
Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC’s mediation lawyers include partners Chrysostomos Nicolaou and Stella Louca Pavlou who have been specifically trained and accredited as mediators and thus, included in the official list of mediators of the Ministry of Justice and the Central Bank of Cyprus. The ADR team offers mediation services in the banking, litigation and corporate sectors as follows:
• Banking Law: typical banking mediation cases often involve negotiation of
reconstruction of loan agreements
• Corporate Law: contractual disputes or partnership dissolutions
• Labour Law: employment disputes, illegal dismissals, compensations etc.
• Contract Law: landlord and tenant conflicts
The Firm’s Dispute Resolution and ADR practice is recommended by the leading global legal directories, Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners; to read the recommendations, please click here.
Mr. Stavros Pavlou, Senior and Managing Partner, is recommended by the Expert Guides (The Legal Media Group Guides to the world's leading lawyers) as one of the leading Litigation and Product Liability Lawyers in Cyprus; to read the recommendation, please click here.
Sample of Major Cases Handled:
- Advising in a multi-jurisdictional dispute between creditors and borrower involving three arbitration proceedings and multiple interim relief applications in Cyprus and UK. The dispute relates to a debt amounting to EUR 120 million and the control of Russia's second largest independent handset retailer, with over 3,000 stores in Russia and Belarus.
- Currently handling 50 cases involving the registration, recognition and enforcement of Russian judgments and arbitral awards obtained by one of the leading and largest banks of Russia against various companies and individuals; obtaining interim orders in aid of enforcement proceedings and offering on-going assistance and advice on all cross-border matters arising within this framework (the total aggregate amount is in excess of USD 3 billion).
- Advising India's largest real estate construction company, which is also a key player in real estate investments on matters relating to the enforcement and execution of an LCIA Arbitration Award; worth approximately USD 360 million.
- Handling on behalf one of the largest private hospitals in Cyprus a very complicated professional malpractice suit (value of EUR 2 million) involving questions of clinical practice, methodology and procedure.
- Representing one of Russia’s major banks in one of the most high profile arbitration proceedings currently taking place before a Cypriot tribunal. The claim relates to the performance of certain bank guarantees issued by the plaintiffs according to which the bank affected the transfer of the amount of about USD 42 million pursuant to the provisions of a certain Russian State Contract the validity of which was later disputed.
- Representing and advising a foreign individual-plaintiff before the Cyprus Courts in relation to one of the most high profile divorce cases of the year where the plaintiff is seeking the division of USD 14 billion worth of assets concealed by the defendant in a complex multi-layered corporate structure.
- Representing a trade oil company which is registered in The Republic of Ivory Coast in West Africa, in a dispute claiming special and general damages against a Cyprus registered company with which our clients entered into an agreement for the supply to the latter of gasoil which the prospective defendants failed after all to load and/or deliver.
- We are representing in court for intellectual property infringement the Cyprus subsidiary of an Israel-based leading company which provides online trading services to retail customers across the world and with its shares listed for trading on the London Stock Exchange for intellectual property infringement.
- Acting as the main counsel firm of the largest private bank in Cyprus and therefore, we are continuously handling more than 400 cases going through the courts for recovery of various amounts; the total aggregate amount is in excess of EUR 100 million.