Over the last years, Patrikios Pavlou & Associates LLC has been receiving increasing banking & finance work and this has led to the rapid and continuous expansion of the banking & finance department. The department is mainly involved in challenging and complex corporate finance transactions in Cyprus and abroad and is also handling project and asset finance matters and has extensive experience in securitization issues.
Expert professional legal advice is offered to major national and international banks, industrial organizations, multinationals, financial institutions and other companies in the financial services sector. The recovery section of the Firm’s banking practice regularly handles inquiries from various local and international banks on complicated recovery cases.
The extensive expertise of the main partners in banking and finance, in combination with their experience in major international cases, makes the department one of the most competitive in its area. Stavros Pavlou, Senior & Managing Partner, being both an economist (BSc Economics of Industry & Trade, LSE, UK) as well as a Barrister at Law (Gray’s Inn, UK) and Lia Iordanou Theodoulou, Corporate Finance Partner, lead the legal team and Stella Louca Pavlou, Banking Partner, leads the recovery section of the Firm’s banking practice and regularly handles inquiries from various local and international banks on complicated recovery cases.
The Banking & Finance department provides effective and professional legal advice and guidance to clients including:
- Corporate finance
- Structured finance
- Project finance
- Acquisition finance
- Equity and debt finance
- Ship finance
- Equity investment
- Restructurings and reorganisations
- Derivative and securities lending transactions
- Repurchase agreements [REPOs]
- General banking
- Recovery of loans
- Lease and hire-purchase agreements
- Letters of credit and bank guarantees
- Offerings and listings in international stock exchanges
The Firm’s Banking & Finance practice is recommended by the leading global legal directories, Legal 500 and IFLR1000; to read the recommendations, please click here.
Sample of Major Cases Handled:
- Advised a major Russian Bank on several occasions in the past 2 years with respect to a USD 2 billion refinancing concerning a Cyprus holding company.
- Advising a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm in relation to a number of issues concerning the Financial Collateral Arrangement Law and providing a legal opinion on financial collateral assistance matters arising out of certain Master Confirmations for pre-paid share forward transactions for shares issued by the largest international crude oil tanker company worldwide.
- Advising one of the largest banks in Russia on a financing project of over USD 1 billion regarding a trade and exhibition center in Moscow, Russian Federation.
- Advising a leading Switzerland-based multinational financial services group in relation to the entry into a collar transaction with a Cyprus company (value of EUR 200 million) with regards to shares in an integrated global energy company based in Spain.
- Advised a major Russian bank on various amendments relating to a facility agreement (value of USD 850 million) provided to a major international group operating in the energy, infrastructure development and real estate sectors.
- Represented one of the world's most preeminent financial service firms in relation to a cross currency swap transaction, supplementing an ISDA Master Agreement, with one of the biggest investment firms in Cyprus.
- Providing legal advice to a German global banking and financial services company on the transfer of the Cypriot secured property it held by way of Cyprus pledges in respect of two facility agreements of USD 265 million to a new security agent.
- Advising a major Russian bank on the financing aspect of a major restructuring of the largest industrial construction group in Russia in order to fund the purchase price of the deal in the aggregate amount of approximately EUR ½ billion.
- Advised the corporate and investment banking division of the leading financial institution of the US in relation to a transaction of the amendment and restatement of a USD 250 million facility agreement due to the change of the custodian of shares of a DIFC entity.